Monday, March 28, 2011

Coconut Banana Cake

Pin It!

I have an addiction. My addiction comes in the form of moist and delicious cake. And also brownies. Oh, and cookies. Sometimes pie... Okay, let's just say I have a dessert addiction. I can trace it all back to my childhood and the hundreds, no, thousands of delicious desserts I consumed in the 18 years I spent in a house with my "let's make a cake tonight!" mother. I can tell you that in those 18 years I probably consumed enough sugar and butter to fill the grand canyon...twice! Which i'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I sometimes need to get my sugar fix and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.

After finishing dinner one night I had that urge -- you know, that urge. The one that makes you feel like you would give your left arm for something sweet. Well, I had that urge, so I rummaged through my cabinets hoping to spot some random chocolate chips floating around or maybe some old halloween candy, but instead I found a box of cake mix. Knowing my husband and his love of anything with bananas, I decided to throw something together that even he would like, just because that's the kind of wife I am. Let me just say that after one bite of this delightful little treat I knew that, once again, everything was right in the world.

Banana Cake With Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe: {Print Recipe}

Ingredients: 
Cake:
1 Box of Yellow cake mix
2 bananas (mashed)

Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
3 tablespoons butter (softened)
4oz cream cheese (softened)
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract

1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
2 teaspoons butter (optional)

Instructions:
Grease and flour a 9" x 13" pan. Follow the directions on the box and right before you beat the cake mix for 2 minutes throw in the mashed bananas. Bake in the oven according to directions on the box.

Beat together the butter & cream cheese & slowly mix in the powdered sugar. Add the coconut extract and beat it together just for a second.

When your cake has cooled just slap on all the frosting and spread it around, and if you're like me you'll just keep spreading it until every single visible section of cake is completely covered and then you'll spread it more until it's perfectly even.

Then take your coconut and if you want to you can throw it in a pan with some butter and brown it, or if you're as impatient as I was and you can't possibly wait another second you can just throw it on top of the cake as is.

The final step is possibly the single most important step: Now that you have your cake you should eat it, too.

2 comments :

  1. Oooooh, yum!

    I'd love to have you share this recipe on my weekly link up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/07/jelly-bean-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves all things Coconut, and this sounds awesome! I will have to save it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...