Friday, April 6, 2012

Crockpot Ham & Bean Soup

Pin It!

I can't believe that Easter is only 2 days away! My 5-year-old daughter is completely excited and keeps reminding me that "not today, not tomorrow, but the next day is Easter!" Or, "tomorrow's tomorrow" as she likes to call it. We are all pretty excited and can't wait to spend the whole day with family and watch the kids hunt for eggs!

This week while I was grocery shopping, I noticed that hams were marked down to a ridiculously low price, so I knew I had to grab one. Once we finish off our ham, the one thing that I never know what to do with is the ham bone. I always hear about people making things with it, but we usually just end up giving it to our dog and he spends a couple of hours just chewing away at it. This time, I decided that we had to try something with it, so I gave my husband the task of coming up with something new and fun. Last night, around midnight, he threw a few ingredients into the crockpot and turned it on low, and what we had for lunch was a delicious and super yummy ham and bean soup! The great thing about this soup is, well, everything! It's super easy to make with very few ingredients (you probably have most of them in your house already!) and it is wonderfully flavorful!

So, I'd like to use this as an opportunity to say 'thank you' to my husband for making something that was not only edible, but was unbelievably tasty and will become a new tradition in our home every time there is a ham bone present!


Ham & Bean Soup Recipe:   

Ingredients:

  • 1 ham bone (with a fair amount of meat left on it!)
  • 1 (16 ounce) package navy beans
  • 1 large onion (chopped)
  • 8 cups boiling water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt (to taste)

Directions:


Place the beans, onion, bay leaves and water in the crock pot. Add the ham bone. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. (We did 10 hours and it was absolutely perfect!) 

Once it's done, remove the bones and shred up the ham pieces. 

Serve, eat and enjoy!


Linked To:

Todays Creative Blog
\Addicted to Recipes Button, Page buttonWhipperberry

11 comments :

  1. Such an easy and delicious sounding recipe, thanks for sharing!

    Stephanie
    www.chocolatecoveredbuttons.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks delicious! Just printed the recipe-I'm going to try it this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! I love easy recipes for the crockpot. I'm loving your blog, your recipes all look so yummy! I'm your newest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm what a delicious looking soup! I wish I still had some ham leftovers so I could make some this weekend! One of my favorite soups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! Can't wait to try this! Visiting from http://dirtroaddamsel.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a smoked ham hock and cannelini beans (think they are the same as navy beans). Thank you for posting this, found it on pinterest and I make it all the time, now. Everyone loves it and it's so easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to make this tomorrow. I haven't ever cooked Ham and bean soup. Do I need to soak the navy beans overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup looks yummy, what makes it thick and not just watery?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was delicious! I added carrots and garlic cloves too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this yesterday and used Northern White beans and added garlic, as we are garlic freaks! It blended very well with my Virginia Baked ham pieces I froze from Easter. Thanks for the simple recipe in the Crockpot, as I am never done it before...it was PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...