Monday, February 20, 2012

Jambalaya

Pin It!


If there's one thing in life that my husband could eat every single night, it's Jambalaya. When we were dating he would always order it and I had no idea what it was nor did I want to. The idea of chicken, pork and shrimp mixed together didn't sound very appealing to me until I tried it for the first time. I can now honestly say that this Jambalaya recipe is one of my absolute favorite dishes! The one thing I do differently is I don't add the rice or pasta right in the pot. You can add it in there if you'd like, but I personally like to serve it over white rice! With tomorrow being Mardi Gras, what better time is there to make a delicious cajun dish and have a little celebration?

Jambalaya Recipe:   |Print Recipe|


1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1" cubes)
1 pound andouille sausage (cajun sausage!)
1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 large onion (chopped)
1 cup (chopped) celery
1 large bell pepper (chopped)
1 cup chicken broth
2 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
1 tbsp + 2 tsp cajun seasoning (divided)
1 tsp cayenne (or less, if you don't like too much heat!)
1/2 tsp thyme
1 pound shrimp (peeled & deveined)
Cooked pasta or white rice


Heat 1 tbsp oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Season chicken with 1 tbsp cajun seasoning and set aside. 


Sautee sausage for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 tbsp oil to pan and sautee chicken. Remove and set aside. 


Sautee onion, pepper, celery and garlic for about 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and all seasonings (including 2 tsp cajun seasoning). Cook for one minute, then stir chicken and sausage back in. Cook for additional 10 minutes. 


Stir in chicken broth and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add shrimp during the last 5 minutes of cooking. 


Serve over pasta or white rice (I personally prefer serving it over white rice!)





Today's Creative Blog

1 comment :

  1. I'm making this right now and it looks so good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...