Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Country Breakfast Enchiladas

Pin It!

Once I get something stuck in my head, especially when it comes to food, it is nearly impossible for me to forget about it until my taste buds have been satisfied. This weekend has been quite a story. A story of tragedy, inspiration and finally, a long awaited victory. 

The weekend started out like any other weekend, with me getting up at the crack of dawn. No matter how tired I am from the week and how much I look forward to sleeping in on Saturday mornings, it just never seems to happen. As my husband and daughter peacefully slept into the late hours of the morning, I sat on the computer and browsed recipe after recipe, basically just torturing my stomach. You know that feeling when you are having a food craving, but you just can't figure out what it is that you want? That was me. My search seemed endless...

About the time I was about to give up on my food quest, I had a moment of clarity. What I wanted was a beautiful breakfast mixture, full of eggs, bacon and cheese, all wrapped up in a cozy tortilla. But it wasn't a burrito...No, no! What I wanted was a hybrid, a love-child, if you will,  of a good ol' country breakfast and a warm, cheesy, enchilada. It would be glorious!

Just as I sprung from my chair to head into the kitchen to make my vision a reality, my late-waking husband was walking into the kitchen to get some coffee and reminded me that we had a birthday party we needed to be at! Darn. My dreams were shattered. Still, my daughter was very much looking forward to this party, as was I, so out the door we ran.

I'm going to be honest with you, while my body was physically present at the party, my heart was at home, in my kitchen, with my delicious little creation. I obsessed over it.

To make a long story, short...er.... Sunday came and went, with too many activities to fulfill my culinary obligation to myself and I feared that I would have to wait until the next weekend to finally make my creation. But then It happened... after my husband and I dropped my daughter off at school on Monday morning, my husband turned to me and said "You know what i'm really craving? A breakfast burrito." Clearly this was fate.


Country Breakfast Enchiladas:   |Print Recipe|
12 eggs 
1/2 pound of bacon 
3 medium potatoes (diced into 1/4" cubes)
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons butter
Salt & pepper 
12 flour tortillas
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided into 12 parts)
1 package country gravy mix (prepared according to directions. I could have made my own, but I was lazy!)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
Sliced green onions (garnish)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease your baking dishes. I use a large lasagna pan. 

In a large pan over medium heat, place oil and butter. Once heated, season potatoes with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook for 12-14 minutes, or until potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

While potatoes are cooking, in skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and place on paper towels to drain. When it's cool enough, crumble and break it up into smaller pieces. 

In a medium bowl, beat eggs, season with salt and pepper, and pour into the same skillet you cooked the bacon in (yes...grease and all! Yum). Cook eggs over medium heat for about 2 minutes, then add bacon pieces and potatoes to egg mixture. Cook until it's the consistency you like.

Place 1 tablespoon of gravy onto each tortilla, 1/12 of the cheese and 1/12 of the egg mixture and roll. Place into the baking dish. Repeat with all 12 tortillas. Pour remaining gravy over the top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese.

Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until cheese is melted and everything is nice and hot!

Garnish with sliced green onions. 








2 comments :

  1. Alright- Printing and Pinning! You Rock, this look simply AMAZING!!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I'm not usually one for a breakfast burrito but yours looks so good I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...