Thursday, February 18, 2016

Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie with Almond Crisp

Pin It!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
#SilkSipToSpoon #CollectiveBias


Lately, my daughter and I have been on a smoothie kick. We pretty much try to make smoothies out of anything and everything and are always so excited when we find a new combination or a new ingredient that takes our smoothies to a whole new level of deliciousness. 

I've also recently discovered something else that has quickly become part of my daily routine... Coffee. I know, you're thinking "Coffee? What? Everyone drinks coffee!" But, I'm here to tell you that until last year, I was never a "coffee drinker." Now, I love my coffee. Like, really love it.  And... I love my creamer. I have to have creamer in my coffee, and it has to be just the perfect amount. Precisely 1/3 of the liquid in the mug simply must be creamer.


Speaking of coffee... If haven't heard or seen it yet, Silk has come out with a new creamer and it's awesome. And did I mention that it's made with almond milk? I didn't? Well it is. Silk Almond Creamer comes in 3 flavors: vanilla, caramel and hazelnut. The caramel is my favorite. Caramel is always my favorite. True story. My local Walmart was almost out, but luckily I snagged one of the last few! Whew.


I discovered that not only is this creamer delicious in a nice, steaming cup of coffee, but it also makes a great ingredient in... wait for it... smoothies! Perfection. It's so packed with flavor and just the right amount of creaminess needed to achieve perfect smoothie texture.


Like that. Check out that texture. Silky smooth! The caramel creamer was the perfect compliment to the sweet, buttery, earthy flavor of the sweet potato in this recipe and it instantly made it taste like sweet potato pie. If you were blindfolded and you took a drink of this smoothie and I made you guess what it was, you would immediately default to sweet potato pie. Or you might say pumpkin pie... and in that case, I might give you half a point. Because that's pretty close... 


The only thing that could make a smoothie better is a little crunch on top. Right? I love finishing off smoothies with a little crispy texture at the end. It makes them look pretty and it says "I'm serious" without being too serious. I usually end up eating it first, but, sometimes it's fun to find a couple of oats throughout the smoothie as you're drinking it... Kind of like a treasure hunt

If you're a smoothie fan, I suggest you give this one a try. You won't be sorry. In fact, you'll be the exact opposite. You'll be not-sorry. You're welcome!


What is your favorite coffee creamer flavor to use??


Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie with Almond Crisp:
{Print Recipe}

Ingredients:

Almond Crisp:

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped or sliced almonds

Smoothie:

  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup Silk Almond Creamer - Caramel flavor
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 cups ice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. Place coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15-20 seconds, or until melted. Add honey to oil and mix. Pour over oat mixture and mix well to coat. Spread on a baking sheet, in a thin layer and bake for 15 minutes. Toss mixture and continue baking for additional 10-15 minutes, or until brown and toasty. Remove from oven, sprinkle almonds over the top, mix, and set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potato skin all over and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool. 

Once sweet potato is cool, measure out 2/3 cup of the flesh and place in blender. Add in yogurt, Silk Almond Creamer, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and ice. Blend until smooth. 

Pour into glass and top with a sprinkle of almond crisp and pumpkin pie spice. 

Makes 1 smoothie.



2 comments :

  1. WOW this smoothie is genius! I never thought of adding sweet potato to a smoothie, simply amazing! And that topping is totally incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun smoothie idea! And I love your precise measuring for the creamer to coffee ratio. Like you, I "discovered" coffee only a couple of years ago...and now I can't imagine a morning without my coffee + creamer. I also love sweet potato pie, so I need one of these smoothies asap! #client

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...