Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas

Pin It!


So, last week was full of disappointments and sadness. The biggest of all was that my dad passed away on the 6th. He had been sick for a very long time and we were all expecting it, so it wasn't a huge surprise. He went peacefully and my mom was there comforting him the whole time. His funeral was on Thursday and it was just perfect for him -- full of music, funny stories, jokes and love. It couldn't have been better and more him.

Between all the funeral planning, family coming from out of town and just an overall busy week, I finally was able to get back in the kitchen yesterday and cook something for my family. I know they were pleased that dinner didn't come from a fast food bag and had ingredients that they could actually pronounce. I had like 3 pork loin roasts up in my freezer just begging me to use them... So, I did.  In order to cleanse our bodies from the greasy, overly-processed food we had to consume last week, I thought I would make something a little lighter and more "fresh," because fresh is good. Carnitas tacos with avocado and fresh pico de gallo! My stomach wasn't even sure how to react to this dinner because it was almost too fresh. 

As I'm typing this blog post, my 5-month-old son is currently "playing" on his play mat next to me. By "playing," I really mean that he is crying and screaming at me because I dared to put him down for 2 minutes. Yeah, he's in that phase right now. The phase where nothing, no matter what it is, will please him. Just mom. That's it. Not dad, not sister, not Sophie the squeaky giraffe -- just mom. So, because I can't possibly stand to listen to the saddest cry known to man, and because I can't hold him and type at the same time (he likes to grab the mouse, smack the keyboard and pull the cords) I must bid you adieu. Please enjoy this deliciously easy recipe for Carnitas that you can cook right in your CrockPot. Put it in there in the morning, forget about it, then remember it later, just in time to enjoy a tender, flavorful meat-filled taco, burrito or whatever you please.



Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe: 

Ingredients:
  • 2.5 pound pork loin roast
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 cup water


Instructions:

Combine spices and seasonings in a small bowl and rub mixture on pork roast. Place roast in slow cooker along with bay leaves, 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until roast is tender and shreds easily. Remove bay leaves, shred and serve.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...