Monday, November 25, 2013

Apple Crisp Bars made with Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal

Pin It!
“This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Post Pebbles, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #PostWalgreens http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO.”



One of my family's favorite parts of Fall is all of the apple recipes floating around online! I love seeing delicious, buttery apple-filled desserts that make your whole house smell amazing. Nothing beats the smell of freshly baked apple pies, crisps and bars! Nothing, I say! Except maybe... no, wait, there's nothing! That's it! 


I recently had the fabulous opportunity to create a recipe using Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal which is currently on sale at Walgreens for only $1.99 a box! Score! They also had Fruity Pebbles, Great Grains and Grape Nuts for the same price, so I'm going to be going back for some of those for some other recipes I have floating around in my head... but that's another post ;). I knew that I wanted to make something apple-y and delicious using the Honey Bunches of Oats because I thought the cereal would add just the right amount of crunch to some heavently Apple Crisp Bars. Annnnnd I was correct! They were meant to be. The cereal adds such a nice crispiness and crunchiness that my family fell head over heals in love with. 




See this crumbly mixture of sweet, crunchy goodness? It tastes even better than it smells... which is very hard to believe.



I'm now going to be looking for any excuse to make this pan of yumminess. It's definitely going in my family's fall favorites recipes!


Apple Crisp Bars made with Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal:

Ingredients:

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups butter. softened
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup all purpose flour
2-1/2 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal

Filling:
4 medium apples, peeled and sliced about 1/2" thick
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray. 

In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, baking soda, flour and honey bunches of oats cereal until crumbly.  Set aside 1 cup of the mixture and place the remaining mixture in the bottom of your baking dish and press down.

In a large bowl, toss sliced apples with lemon juice, then cinnamon, sugar and flour. Mix well. Pour on top of the crumb mixture and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of crumb mixture over the top.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until apples are tender and crumb topping is nice and golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting into bars and serving.

Cut into 15 squares.

1 comment :

  1. mmm these bars look delicious! I made a granola bar with honey bunches of oats, but I can't wait to try these. I love apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...