Monday, November 11, 2013

#FreshFinds at Save Mart Supermarket: Crispy Ham Bites & Cheddar Beer Dipping Sauce

Pin It!
I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client.

I was given the opportunity to shop at my local Save Mart Supermarket for some delicious meat and to see what other fresh finds I could, err... find along the way! As you know, from my blog, I absolutely love cooking with meat! It's kind of my thing. We eat a lot of meat in our house, and since the cooler weather has come around, we've been cooking a lot of pork dishes. I feel like I don't even remember what chicken or beef tastes like anymore, since our fridge and freezer and stocked so full of pork chops, pork roasts and bacon. Mmm bacon. Since I've been creating a lot of pork roast-centered dinners, I thought I'd go a different route and try something with ham -- an appetizer! I don't experiment with appetizers enough, and I thought this would be a ideal time to start, with the holidays coming up! My hubby and I brainstormed together and came up with something that I think you will find delicious and want to serve up at your Holiday Parties!


I headed to my local Save Mart Supermarket, which, in my opinion, has one of the best meat selections in town! They had everything decorated for Christmas and it was extremely cozy and smelled amazing! They always have something delicious baking away in the bakery section and it makes the whole store smell delicious. I just love the quality of their meat and there's always a great sale going on! Speaking of which...

I recently found out about a Buy One Get One Free, mix-and-match Sale that's going to be happening at Save Mart Supermarket starting on 11/13 and running through 11/26. Just in time for Thanksgiving! Score! I know I will be stocking my fridge with some of the meats they are going to be offering in the sale: Riverside or Honeysuckle White Frozen Turkeys, Cooks Ham Portions, Master Cut Beef Cross Rib Roasts, Pork Shoulder Roasts and Honeysuckle Turkey Breasts! 


So, basically, you can buy your turkey for Thanksgiving dinner, and use your free turkey to make a bunch of amazing dinners after the holiday (which is what we do in our home!) Often times we go over to a family member's house for Thanksgiving, so we don't usually end up with any leftovers, so we buy a turkey and use it to make sandwiches, pot pies and a bunch of other amazing turkey dishes!


Ham! Glorious ham! This is exactly what I needed for my appetizer. So many different sizes and cuts of ham to choose from! 


I'm going to be honest here... I have never used won ton wrappers before! I can hear you all gasping in disbelief, but, it's true! I think I have always been a little intimidated by them in the past and afraid that I wouldn't be able to get them perfectly wrapped up. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to work with and how fun the filling process was! I am a little addicted now and can already see many won ton wrapper-centered recipes ahead.


Plus, there's something extremely satisfying about watching them go from soft to crispy in a matter of seconds! 

Now on to the yummy part of the post... Eat and be merry!


Crispy Ham Bites with Cheddar Beer Dipping Sauce:

Ingredients: 

  • 1-1/2 cups diced (cooked) ham (as small as you can get it!)
  • 1/2 cup finely minced onion
  • 1 cup finely diced mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of pepper
  • 28 won ton wrappers
  • 3 cups oil for for frying


Cheddar Beer Sauce:

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup beer (You can really use any kind you'd like. We used a Stout.)
  • 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Pinch of salt


Instructions:

In a large skillet, over medium heat, place oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add onion and saute for about 4 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper and parsley and cook for additional 4-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and brown. Add ham and cook for additional 1-2 minutes, or until ham is heated. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

For cheese sauce, place butter in a medium saucepan. Once butter has melted, add flour, whisk and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and dijon mustard and whisk until thick. Once thickened, add beer and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and while whisking, slowly add cheese until all cheese is melted and combined.

To fill won ton wrappers, place about 1-1/2 teaspoons of ham mixture in the center of one square, using your finger, wet the edges with water and fold into triangle, pushing together and sealing edges well.

Heat your oil to about 375 degrees, place filled won tons into oil and fry until golden brown.

Serve with Cheddar Beer Dipping Sauce

Makes about 28 filled won tons.


---------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow Save Mart on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest

You can also check out more deliciousness here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------



1 comment :

  1. How much oil did not mention oil in recipe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...