Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Couponing your way to Dinner: Taco Dogs

Pin It!

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PackedWithSavings #CollectiveBias


A few years ago I was one of those ladies in the store with the binder full of coupons, a cart full of toothpaste, wax strips and cough drops and a closet overflowing with anything and everything you could imagine. I looked for any and all coupon deals I could find and I spent a good chunk of my time plotting my route and trying to optimize my time. Now, I'm just a mom with 2 kids, using coupons to save money on (mostly) food items, in order to keep our grocery bill at a good point.

Sometimes I miss those days of getting up early and hitting the stores when almost no one is there, except other couponers, and leaving with a cart full of goodies and a bank account that has barely been touched. Other days, when I'm sleeping in until 9 am, I really don't. I like that now I can just get online, scan through the new coupons, print the items that interest me and make my grocery list around that. It helps me keep our weekly grocery budget low, and it allows us to buy name-brand products at a price comparable to the store brands!

I always try to bring you guys recipes that are family-friendly and that will be loved by everyone, but I've decided that on top of that, i'd also like to start focusing a little more on budget-friendly recipes as well. Most people nowadays are getting into the kitchen more and trying to avoid the high expenses that come along with eating out. I'd like to be the first to say that you can cook anything at home that you can find in a restaurant, as long as you're willing to try!

The other day as I was looking through the online coupons, I came across all the different Kraft coupons that were available. Back-to-school time is a great time to find coupons because all the brands know you are getting ready to head to the store and stock up on snacks, dinners, drinks and everything else you're going to need once the days of homework and early bedtimes are back.

I promised my daughter that before she started school we would make one of her favorite things -- hot dogs. But, instead of just normal hot dogs, I wanted to add a special little twist on them... So I decided to make some taco dogs! I had printed coupons for $.75 off Kraft Naturals shredded cheese, $1 off 2 packages of Oscar Mayer hot dogs and $1 off of Taco Bell's sour cream dips, which would be perfect for my creation. (I'll put the link to the coupons at the bottom!)


It was easy to find the Hot dogs and cheese at my local Walmart...


...but the dip was a little more challenging... I ended up finding it inside the refrigerated section with the doors, near the milk. That totally made sense.



Hooray for coupons!


To assemble your taco dogs, you need to first cook your ground beef and add your taco seasoning with a little water to make the sauce. Basically, just follow the directions on the taco seasoning packet! Heat your hot dogs, place them in the bun and spread on the taco meat!

You've gotta add a bunch of cheese, too... Ooey gooey cheesy goodness!


And, of course, a dollop of sour cream dip!


And, finally, top it off with some crushed tortilla chips and tomatoes (and onions, if you'd like!)

Now, sit back and enjoy your delicious, budget-friendly meal!


Click the banner above to find all the great coupons I used to create this meal, plus a TON more!

--------------------------------------------


Taco Dogs:



Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 package Oscar Mayer Beef Franks
  • 10 hot dog buns
  • 3/4 cup shredded Kraft Naturals Triple Cheddar Cheese
  • 4 tablespoons Taco Bell Creamy Jalapeno Sour Cream Dip
  • 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
  • *optional chopped tomatoes, onions, etc.

Directions:

Cook ground beef until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water, cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and it has created a sauce. Set aside.

Heat up your beef hot dogs, place them in the hot dog buns and top with about 1/4 cup of the taco meat. Sprinkle cheese over the meat, add a dollop of sour cream dip, crushed tortilla chips and tomatoes, onions, etc.

Makes 10 Taco Dogs




1 comment :

  1. This looks like something the other half would love...and even be able to make on his own! Now if I could only get him to print the coupons! #Client

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...