Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hubby's Cajun Breakfast Skillet

Pin It!

I have been extremely blessed lately and it's all because of a very special man in my life... I call him Hubby. Actually, I call him "Poodle," but we won't get into that right now...

My dear hubby has recently really taken an interest in cooking and I have been reaping all the benefits of his new-found love for experimenting in the kitchen. He's always been the BBQ King in our house and he makes the most amazing ribs, tri tip and burgers you will ever taste, but it's usually me in the kitchen, behind the skillet... so, this all feels a little foreign to me, and leaves me feeling a sense of pride and horror all at the same time. The pride comes from the fact that I've got me a man that can roast a mean pork belly, the horror comes from the fact that I fear that someday the student may surpass the teacher and I'll be out of a job. Impossible, right? Right?!


Every time he asks me a question while he's cooking there's an internal battle that happens in my head and It goes something like this:

Hubby: How do you think (insert seasoning here) would taste in this dish?
What Good Devi would say: Well, it's used more for (insert dish here) and probably wouldn't taste very good mixed with the (insert ingredient here).
What Bad Devi would say: Hmm, that sounds like it could be good! Make sure you add enough and don't under-season...

So far Good Devi has always been the winner, but now that his pot roast tastes 100x better than mine, who can say when Bad Devi might make an appearance.


Putting aside any competitive bones I might have in my body (there are a few, at least...) I have to say, my hubby has truly mastered the art of a good breakfast! He's got his breakfast potatoes down and now he's moved on to bigger and better things, like this amazing Cajun Breakfast Skillet! The best part about it is that you only use 1 skillet, meaning: less clean-up! Hooray! That also means that hubby is far more likely to actually clean up his mess in the kitchen. Hooray again!


So, this weekend, when you're looking for something different to make for breakfast, you need to print this recipe and give it a whirl. I never thought I would love a cajun breakfast as much as I love this one. I find myself asking for it every weekend now and I think you will, too! Enjoy!


Hubby's Cajun Breakfast Skillet:

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Andouille Sausage, sliced (about 8oz)
  • 5-6 eggs  
  • 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme 
  • 1 teaspoon flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a hot skillet (preferably cast iron). Add garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes. Add andouille sausage and cook until tender (about 4 minutes). Add potatoes, mix well and season with half of the cajun seasoning and the thyme.

Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat to medium, dust with flour, season with remaining cajun seasoning and salt and pepper and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender, turning as needed. Remove from heat

Use spoon or spatula to push potatoes aside to create 5-6 wells within skillet.

Carefully crack an egg into each well and place in oven for approximately 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked with runny yolks. 

Finish with a few dashes of hot sauce on eggs and around skillet. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...