Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Easter Eggs

Pin It!

I have been sick for the past few days and have basically just sat around watching Martha Stewart and Chopped. There is nothing better than watching cooking shows when you're feeling under the weather! The problem is I had so many plans to make wonderful treats this weekend and I was only able to make one. But, it was a good one. It's my favorite homemade Easter candy and if there is any treat that has magical sick healing abilities, peanut butter eggs would be it!



Peanut Butter Eggs: 

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup peanut butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
4 sheets of graham crackers (crushed)
4 tablespoons butter (melted)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 package semisweet chocolate (or white chocolate is really really yummy too!)
1 tablespoon shortening

DIRECTIONS:

Combine peanut butter, confectioners sugar, graham crackers, butter, salt and milk. Mix it together and make sure everything is well combined. It may seem a little dry but it will help to keep the shape of the eggs!

Form into balls about the size of a golf ball and shape it until it starts to look like an egg. You can also make smaller eggs (about the size of a cherry tomato) to put on sticks, if you'd like! If the mixture is cracking while you form it, you can definitely add another tablespoon of milk.

Put them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place it in the freezer for 45 minutes.

While the eggs are in the freezer, melt your chocolate in a double boiler along with the shortening.

Dip the eggs into the chocolate using either a fork or toothpicks and place on parchment paper.

Before the chocolate sets you can put sprinkles on or you can wait until the chocolate hardens and use some colored chocolate to make pretty designs on the eggs. The designing part is really up to you! I had a little 4 year old begging to put sprinkles on the eggs, so that's the direction we ended up going for the big ones :)

Recipe yields about 14 eggs.

Linked To:
Baked by Joanna, House of Hepworths, Tidy Mom, CraftoManiac, Today's Creative Blog, Mom's Crazy Cooking, 30 Handmade Days, Sun Scholars

22 comments :

  1. I think these qualify as an EGG RECIPE, so cute!

    We would LOVE for you to come on over and link up this recipe! GREAT Egg Dish and it's perfect.... for THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS. Our theme is "EGG DISHES" we hope to see you there! :-)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-24-egg.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these and thank you for bringing some over to your loving mother-in-law! Ha! Hoping you'll find time to make more for Easter! You're so talented and we're blessed by your wonderful creations! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is making me drool! Super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be trying this. I totally agree about watching food network!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...yum....definitely on my list of things to make and put in the kids easter baskets! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devi, these eggs look and sound wonderful. This is my first visit to your site so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Thanks for adding to my linking party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way better than the store-bought candy. Yum!

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/14/chocolate-birds-nests/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookmarking this for later:) They look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great recipe! You have a very nice blog. I will be back:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw aw aw~!!! so cute and yummy looking!!! I could use some healing treats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy Yum, Love me some peanut butter, plus they are so cute. Also, I don't see CraftOManiac linked up, if I am mistaken I am sorry. Thanks, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look soooo yummy! And so cute!

    I'd love to have you share this at my For the Kids Link Party! Stop on by and join the fun!!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-kids-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combination! I am definitely going to try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing!

    Visiting from craft-o-maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a cute and probably delish idea ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peanut Butter Eggs are one of my favorite Easter treats...thanks for sharing a recipe I can now make year round!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Easter Eggs. I can use them for my easter party. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man these are my favorite thing this time of year. We have a church nearby that sells these every year and I always have to place a couple orders. I hope you'll link up to my Hippity Hop Easter Project Hop.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/03/hippity-hop-easter-project-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks good, but did you realize that you have shortening as an ingredient in the recipe, but do not mention how/where to use it in the directions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The directions does tell where and how to use the shortening you melt it with the chocolate chips in the double boiler.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the shortening goes in with the chocolate chips! :)

      Delete
  20. I hate to sound stupid but what is a "sheet" of graham crackers? Is it the rectangular double cracker as it comes out of the package? Have never heard it referred to this way. Help, please. I want to make these for grandkids but don't want to mess it up by using too many or too few crackers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...