Monday, April 18, 2011

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

Pin It!

One thing my husband and I both enjoy is cooking. Well, in his case, BBQing. We both love to try to think up really fun and interesting things to make that you might not think could be made at home! One day last week we were talking about all the different things we love to cook; one thing I love to make is the tradtional stuffed bell peppers with ground beef, rice and tomato sauce, and one thing he loves to make is philly cheesesteak sandwiches. My mind immediately had one of those "lightbulb" moments, and thought, if I put those two things together, you could have philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers!

I was so proud of this pepper. It turned out exactly as I had imagined it would. It's warm, gooey and melty and it's super flavorful! The cheese sauce is what really makes this pepper over-the-top delicious. I love thinking of new recipes, and I love when they actually turn out well! I had never actually heard of anyone stuffing anything too crazy into a bell pepper, so now i'm on a mission to find different things to stuff into them! My next stuffed pepper idea is just waiting to be born!

Philly Peppers Recipe:1-1/4 pounds steak (we used a ribeye steak)
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
4 bell peppers
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 onion (sliced)
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups cooked white rice

Pepper Jack Cheese Sauce:2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cup packed pepper jack cheese (grated)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Blanch the bell peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove peppers and immediately place in ice bath. Cut off tops of peppers and remove seeds/innards. Place them in a baking dish.

In a pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and begin sauteeing mushrooms and onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft. Remove from pan and set aside.

Next, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of flour. Whisk until mixture becomes smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Add in milk and continue to whisk until mixture begins to boil. Once it begins to boil, turn off the heat and add in the cheese. Stir until mixture becomes smooth.

Cut the steak into very thin slices. Place them in a medium-high heat pan and season with salt and pepper and worcestershire. Cook the steak for 1-2 minutes per side, or until steak is no longer pink. Add the vegetable mixture and rice to the pan and mix. Now, pour 3/4 cup of pepperjack sauce into pan and combine it all together. Divide mixture and place into bell peppers. Pour another tablespoon full of pepper jack sauce over the mixture and top with additional shredded pepper jack cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and melty.

Linked to:
Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, CraftoManiac, Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie, Elements Interiors, Designs By Gollum, Mom's Crazy Cooking

8 comments :

  1. This really sounds interesting. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful way to stuff peppers... and a wonderful way to eat a bunless cheesesteak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting combo -- I'm sure we would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous filling for a pepper. I forget how versatile those little veggies can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my word! Do these sound decadent or WHAT?? Have printed off the recipe and WILL be trying them. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK! YUMM!!!! I love food blogs! Im following you!
    I LOVE your post and Love your blog!

    I would LOVE to have you link up to my Whassup Wednesday Par-Tay! And I have a party button you can grab and put on your blog so your friends can come too:) You ahve a good chance at being featured!




    If you are NOT already a Follower of Elements Interiors....HELLEEERRRR!

    Click that Google Follow button and YOU will be ENTERED in my

    "Its a SURPRISE!" GIVEAWAY to be announced EVERY MONDAY! Yeppers! You read it right,

    a Winner EVERY MONDAY!!! With GREAT Goodies you wont want to miss!!




    Hope to see ya at Whassup Wednesday!!!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm your newest follower! I found your blog through SnoWhite at Finding Joy In My Kitchen. I'm so excited to try your Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers!!

    http://outbackgang.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look sooo good!
    My husband loves Philly Cheesesteaks and Stuffed Peppers :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...