Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lemon Pistachio Shortbread

Pin It!

I am seriously so excited that It's time to finally post this recipe! About a month ago I signed up for a little competition called "Get Your Chef On," which is hosted by the Awesome Jen at Four Marrs and One Venus and Julie at White Lights on Wednesday! It's basically an Iron Chef-esque challenge where you have a mystery ingredient and you make something with said mystery ingredient! How fun, right?


This is my first time ever entering and the mystery ingredient was "Lemons"! I was so excited to get started and I got to thinking right away. I knew I wanted to make something different, something that would "wow" them and make them think "Wow, Devi is the most AMAZING and talented girl ever!" So, what I came up with was a flavor combination that was out of this world. Something that no man or woman had ever dared to think of before... Something SO delicious, SO wonderful, that you can only truly appreciate it once you've tried it... Lemon & Pistachio. Yes, I went there. I went there and I'm so glad I did! I invented one of my all-time favorite cookies. It's sweet, sour, crunchy, lemony, pistachio-y and over-the-top delicious all at the same time. I strongly urge you to try this recipe if you want to be amazed. Plus, as an added bonus it's really beautiful. Buttery yellow with little hints of green throughout, topped with a pretty white drizzle.

I even took these little beauties in to share with some hungry teachers and their families. I was especially honored to receive an amazing compliment from one adorable little kindergartener who said "mmm I like how lemony they are. Mrs. McDonald is a magician in the kitchen!" My heart instantly melted, much like the tremendous amount of butter that is in these cookies. 




Lemon Pistachio Shortbread Recipe:   |Print Recipe|
1 cup salted butter (not too cold, but not completely room temperature either! I would leave it out of the fridge for about an hour)
4 tablespoons white sugar
4 tablespoons confectioners sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped pistachios

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
4 drops vanilla
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp sour cream or milk (I loved the sourness of the sour cream!)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and mix to combine. Add pistachios and slowly mix in flour, 1/2 cup at a time.

On a floured surface, roll or press dough into a rectangle, about 1/2" thick. Using a pizza cutter, or a knife, cut into 3" sticks.

Place on an ungreased baking sheet, about 1" apart.

Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden. Remove cookies and allow them to cool.

While cookies are baking, combine confectioners sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and sour cream (or milk). 

Once cookies have cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the top. 


> TidyMom>Tip Junkie handmade projects

11 comments :

  1. Shut your Mouth! You WENT there! ....and I am so so happy you did!! Holy Crap girl! WOW. and WOW again! These look super pretty, Love the specks of green- you are so right! I can only imagine {that is until I make them} they crunch, sweet and lemony taste these have! Oh my! You rocked this- and thank you So much for being a part of our fun Cooking Challenge!! Can't wait to see what you whip up next round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kitchen magicians! And your recipe sounds crazy good. :) This shortbread sounds in...wait for it...sane! I love seeing the colors of the foods incorporated in cookies. It's so beautiful. Thanks so much for joining GCYO!! We hope you'll be back for round 2 in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one smart little kindergartener! And she's quite right! These cookies are fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my these sound just wonderful some of my favorite things all in one sweet treat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, seriously I love all those things separately so they must be divine together!! YUM! Thanks for sharing! I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sounds so good especially with that glaze on top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM LEMON AND PISTACHIO... HOW DARE YOU? HA! Love these, and great photos too. winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm! These look so delicious! We would love for you to come share it at our weekly link party and enter to win a $50 gift card to Mikarose Clothing!

    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/05/strut-your-stuff-saturday-link-party_11.html

    Love,
    The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fabulous! Congratulations on having them featured over at the cooking challenge. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm this shortbread looks wonderful!!! I've never used pistachios in shortbread before but it sounds like it would be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love shortbread and I love pistachios! Now I can have both in one treat! Wonderful!

    I know you are going to share these at the In and Out of the Kitchen party Right?

    See you there!
    Cynthia
    http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...