Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Beignets

Pin It!


Since yesterday was Fat Tuesday, I decided to make Cajun Pasta and Beignets. I made the mistake of making the Beignets early in the day, so they just sat there and looked enticing the entire day. The one thing I learned about Beignets after making them is that you can't eat just one... or two... or three. My husband learned this truth as well and he isn't even a huge fan of dessert! The true signs of a delicious dessert in my house are: 

 1. My husband eats it. 
 2. He can't stop eating it.

 I spent pretty much the entire day hearing from both my husband and daughter that "These are the best baguettes I have ever had!" and "These bayonet's are amazing!" After correcting them for the 100th time, I decided to just let them eat their bayonets. My daughter loved them so much that she even wrote about them in her journal for school. I believe this to be a pretty solid testimony to the deliciousness of these Beignets.

Beignets:  |Print Recipe|

Ingredients:

3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
Oil (for frying)
powdered sugar (for dusting)

Instructions:

In a large bowl, add yeast, sugar and water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes, until yeast becomes nice and foamy. 

Add egg and milk and butter and whisk. Add salt and half the flour and continue to whisk. Add the remaining flour, mixing well and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2-3 times.

Place in an oiled bowl covered with a towel in a warm place and allow to rise for about 2 hours.

Heat oil to 350 degrees. Roll the dough out in a rectangle to 1/4" thickness. Cut 1" square pieces.

Fry Beignets until one side is golden brown, flip, then fry until other side is golden brown. 

Allow Beignets to cool slightly, then dust with powdered sugar.


Whipperberry

1 comment :

  1. Always wanted to try my hand at making these. You make it sound easy.. so maybe, I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...