Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ham & Cabbage Soup

Pin It!

You may find this hard to believe, but I am not a soup-lover. I like creamy soups, like broccoli cheese and chicken corn chowder, but brothy soups just aren't my thing. I know, I know, i'm crazy... But, now that i'm getting older, i'm finding that my tastes are changing dramatically. and things I never liked to eat before have now become things I love and sometimes even crave! This whole getting older thing is kind of amazing, really... So, with that being said... I actually found a brothy soup I like! Yay me!

It all started when I found a steal on a giant ham, so we pretty much ate ham for a whole week... and even after that whole week of eating nothing but ham, I could have still eaten more ham! That's true love, folks. Anywho, during that time, I found myself trying to think of new ways to use the ham and, of course, soup popped into my mind. This Ham & Cabbage soup is a brothy soup, but you know what... I loved it! It's simple, to the point, and absolutely delicious! Plus, with Easter coming up, I know you're going to be looking for ways to use up some of that leftover ham! l ;) Enjoy!


Ham & Cabbage Soup:

Ingredients: 
  • 1-1/2 cups cubed ham
  • 3/4 head of cabbage (cut into wedges, then cut in half)
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 8 cups chicken stock
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
Instructions:

Place all ingredients in a large pot or dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 1-1/2 hours, or until vegetables are tender.


Linked to:

Foodie Friends Friday

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...