Monday, January 26, 2015

Mini SNICKERS Football Eclairs #BigGameTreats

Pin It! This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #BigGameTreats


Football season has become an extremely fun time of the year for our family. We love tuning in the games (especially the big game) and cheering on our favorite team while enjoying some yummy finger foods! Okay, so It's true that I do love any excuse to make a bunch of snacks and will jump at the chance, but, I have really embraced my love of Football and have been enjoying watching the games with my family! You will find me jumping up and down, yelling at the TV and screeching when my team scores a touchdown. I am very invested.



You definitely won't find me in the kitchen for very long during the Big Game... which is why I like to make sure all my food is prepared ahead of time and completely ready to serve once it starts. I usually start planning my menu about a month in advance and I try to make sure to cover all the basic Football food groups: Cheesy, Crispy, Gooey and my favorite group of all... satisfyingly sweet.


This year, I'm going to be making these adorable Mini SNICKERS® Football Eclairs to cover the "satisfyingly sweet" group. Eclairs have always been one of my favorite, scratch that... They've always been my favorite dessert since I was a little girl. My family and I would often travel the central coast and there was one special bakery where I would always, always, always get a chocolate eclair. I didn't eat any other chocolate eclairs throughout the year... just that one. But, i've decided, now that i'm older, wiser and able to create delicious food on my own, I'm going to tackle the eclair and make it my own (did you get that football reference?!) 

So, of course, the first thing I had to do was head to Walmart and grab all my delicious supplies! I stopped in on the candy aisle to grab my 6-pack of SNICKERS. 4 for the recipe and 2 for... eating! To give me energy to make the recipe, of course. I also grabbed a bag of Skittles®... you'll see why in a bit :)




First off, let's start by making an adorable "Game On" Football Bunting to display over your eclairs. Shall we?

“Game On” Football Bunting Tutorial

Supplies: 
1 12"x12" sheet green paper, a few scrap pieces of brown paper and white paper, white ribbon, 2 wooden skewers, glue, scissors

Step 1: Take a piece of 12”x12” scrapbook paper and cut off two 1-1’/4 strips from it. Fold strips in half and then in half again, to form 4 equal pieces. Repeat with other strip so you end up with 8 pieces.

Step 2: Cut off corners (as demonstrated above) to resemble a trapezoid. 

Step 3: Print out the letters to make the words “GAME ON.” Cut out letters and paste onto one side of your trapezoid. Use brown paper to cut out two football shapes and use small pieces of white paper or a white pen to create laces. Paste onto remaining 2 pieces.

Step 4: Lay out your letters and the footballs on each side of the letters, cover the inside of the green paper with glue. 

Step 5: Place in your ribbon, close and seal tightly.

Step 6: Tie the ends of your ribbon onto 2 wooden skewers.

And you're done!! :)



Now it's time to make the dessert! Gotta unwrap that chocolate...


Chop, chop, chop...


Mixing it into the pastry cream before adding it back to the pot to melt...


Mixing up the dough for the eclairs.


The piping was fun and easy thanks to my hubby... he got me this cake decorating tool for Christmas (like 2 years ago) and I somehow completely forgot about it until today!


Straight outta the oven. Nice and puffy!



Filled and dipped in dark chocolate... Now we're cookin'!



I served these tasty little footballs up on a platter with Skittles to give it some color! You could also divide the Skittles into your team's colors and only use those! That would be super cute. But, I liked all the color they brought to the final product... Plus... wait until you see the bunting!


Isn't it so cute?? My hubby's small glasses filled with colorful Skittles made the perfect weight for the bunting! I couldn't love it more. Really, I couldn't.

Everything looks good enough to eat, don't you think?



So, when you're trying to think of that perfect dessert to serve up at this year's Big Game... whip up a batch of these tasty and adorable mini SNICKERS football eclairs and wow your guests! I promise they'll say "wow." How could they not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini SNICKERS Football Eclairs: 

Ingredients:

Cream Puff Dough:
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 stick salted butter, cut into tablespoons
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 eggs, room temperature
Pastry cream:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 SNICKERS bars
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup  white chocolate chips

Directions:

Chop SNICKERS bars into very small pieces, or you can use a food processor.

Place milk, sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan and whisk. Turn on meat to medium and whisk until mixture thickens to the consistency of a thick salad dressing. Stir in chopped snickers and whisk until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. Place in bowl, cover with saran wrap and place in fridge to chill for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Bring milk, water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Dump in the flour and stir continuously until dough becomes a ball. Transfer dough to a mixer and add in eggs, one at a time (make sure egg is incorporated before adding the next egg!) Your dough should be sticky and somewhat stiff. Place dough in a piping bag or a fun little cake decorating tool fitted with a round tip. Pipe “football shaped” (thin on the ends, thicker in the middle) lines about 2 inches long. You should be able to get between 32-36. 

Place into oven for 16-18 minutes, or until they are beginning to turn golden brown. Prop oven open slightly and bake for additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and baking sheet to cool.

Cut each shell open on one side. Place pastry cream into pastry bag or tiptop bag and pipe into cooled shells. Place in the fridge until chilled, about 30 minutes. 

Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, heat oil and dark chocolate, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is completely melted.

Dip chilled eclairs into chocolate and set on parchment paper or foil to harden. Once chocolate has hardened, melt the white chocolate chips and place into ziptop bag. Pipe laces onto the top of the eclairs to complete your football. Place in fridge and chill until ready to serve!



Makes about 32 mini chocolate footballs





1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...