Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Creamy Tomato, Sausage & Tortellini Soup

Pin It!

I'm going to be honest here and admit something... I'm not really a "soup person." There, I said it. Everyone always goes on and on about how chicken noodle soup is the most comforting food of all and I just sit there shaking my head, in my head. I don't actually shake my head physically... just mentally. I mentally shake my head. 

Maybe I should be a little more specific here... it's mostly broth-based soups that I'm not a huge fan of, I guess. I do love a good creamy soup from time to time! Loaded potato soup, chicken & corn chowder... well, those are okay in my book. 

Oh, and did I mention Creamy tomato soups? I do love those, too. Okay, so maybe I do like soup. Just not all soup. Maybe it's chicken noodle I have something against? 

The one thing I can be certain of is that this Creamy Tomato, Sausage & Tortellini soup I'm sharing with you today is my favorite soup. That's a fact. And the picture above is my favorite picture of it. I feel like it really captures the true essence of this soup and who or what it is, as a soup. Okay, that sounded a little rehearsed, didn't it? And it didn't really make sense, did it? Okay, I'll stop now...


Let me just say that I really, really love the colors in this soup! I'm finding that as I age it becomes more and more important to me to have a variety of colors in whatever it is I'm eating. I love the yellow from the bell pepper, the red from the sun-dried tomatoes and the green from the spinach! So pretty and so fresh looking.

 

I could eat this soup every day if I had to. Maybe it's the sausage, maybe it's the tortellini, maybe it's the delicious creamy tomato-y ness... or maybe it's a combination of them all. Whatever it is, this soup is killer. My hubby's favorite part was the sausage nuggets that he said were "just the right size." When you come across one it's like finding a little ball of treasure. See? Eating soup can be fun!


Okay, so I've just convinced myself that soup is a wonderful thing. I know you guys were already a step ahead of me and you were probably shaking your head in disbelief when you read my first paragraph, but, don't worry, I'm with you now. We're on the same page. Now, just go make the soup and we'll forget about this whole thing...



Creamy Tomato, Sausage & Tortellini Soup:

Ingredients:
  • 24 ounces tomato sauce
  • 3 cups half and half
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 pound sweet italian sausage
  • 9oz package cheese tortellini
  • 1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 medium yellow pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
  • 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:

Roll sausage into small balls, or "nuggets" about the size of a quarter and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until no longer pink.

Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, over medium heat, place olive oil, onions, garlic and bell pepper. Cook until bell pepper begins to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Pour in tomato sauce, add sugar, lemon juice, pepper, basil and italian seasoning and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, half and half, sun-dried tomatoes and cooked sausage. Bring to a boil and allow soup to cook for 5 more minutes, then, add in your tortellini and cook according to package directions (mine was 8 minutes). Stir in spinach during last 2 minutes of cook time.

Top soup with shredded parmesan cheese and a little fresh parsley and serve!

Enjoy!

1 comment :

  1. This looks so delicious - I will be making it this weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...