Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Italian Breadsticks

Pin It!


Hello again! Oh how i've missed blogging. I've missed cooking something yummy, taking a picture and sharing it with anyone who wants to see it! Life has been so crazy in my house for the past couple of months and hopefully all will be normal again.

But, let's get to what's really important here... the food! I'm about to reveal to you something that i've become obsessed with lately... I absolutely adore making bread! This was my first real experience actually dealing with yeast and rising and kneading and let me just tell you, it is amazing! I am in love! Also, the handy little dough hook attachment on my KitchenAid makes the whole kneading process even more wonderful.

This is a recipe i've been searching for, for a very long time. One of my favorite things in the whole wide world are the breadsticks from my favorite italian restaurant chain. I can eat like 6 of them before my meal even comes. You can imagine my excitement when I found this recipe and it tasted identical. I highly reccommend making these the next time you plan on throwing together some spaghetti! The only problem i've found with them is the fact that they are so wonderful that every time I make spaghetti I have to make them to go with it...

Breadsticks Recipe:

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup softened butter

After baking:
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano

Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes, until it starts becoming foamy.

Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Use the paddle attachment on your mixer (or just a spoon!) to mix the softened butter intothe flour. Pour the yeast  into the flour mixture and use the dough hook attachment on your mixture (or your hands!) to combine the ingredients and knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the dough in a bowl and cover it. Let it sit for 1.5 hours (it will double in size!)  When the dough has doubled divide dough into 12 equal pieces and roll the dough to form cigar shaped pieces that are about 7 inches long. Place  the dough on your baking sheets. Cover them and set aside for another 1.5 hours (it will double in size again!)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

Bake the breadsticks for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

Right when the breadsticks come out of the oven, brush each one with melted butter and sprinkle with the garlic salt and oregano.


Linked to:

Tip Junkie

2 comments :

  1. Okay, I was the test dummy on these (YAY GOD) and I can confirm that they are fabulous!! Yes, they do taste exactly like that restaurant's famous breadsticks and when I say you can't just eat one, I mean it! Good job, daughter-in-love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum! I am addicted to breadsticks. these look so delicious. I'm a new follower too! excited to see your future posts, take care.

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...